Images of Rail Canton Area Railroads by Craig Sanders Soft Cover 2009 128 pages
Images of Rail Canton Area Railroads by Craig Sanders Soft Cover 2009 128 pages
Images of Rail Canton Area Railroads by Craig Sanders Soft Cover 2009 128 pages

Images of Rail Canton Area Railroads by Craig Sanders Soft Cover 2009 128 pages

Regular price $15.00 Sale

Used


RailroadTreasures offers the following item:
 
Images of Rail Canton Area Railroads by Craig Sanders Soft Cover 2009 128 pages
 
Images of Rail Canton Area Railroads by Craig Sanders Soft Cover 2009 128 pages
CONTENTS
Acknowledgments
Introduction
1.Electric Railways
2.Pennsylvania Railroad
3.Conrail
4.Baltimore and Ohio Railroad
5.Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway
6.Ohio Central Railroad System Other Railroad Operations
Canton is located in the southwest corner of a great industrial triangle that stretches north through Akron to Cleveland, southeastward through Youngstown to Pittsburgh, and westward back to Canton. Steelmaking was the backbone of this region, but numerous other industries built plants there as well.
Founded in 1805 by Bezaleel Wells, Canton was the first community to be settled in Stark County and is the county seat. The city initially spurned canal and railroad developers. Cantonians did not want the Ohio and Erie Canal, which linked Cleveland and the Ohio River port of Marietta, because they feared that standing water would be a source of disease. They refused to pledge financial support to the Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railroad (C&P) because they believed the railroad would build through Canton anyway. Instead the C&P built 18 miles to the east, prompting the founding of Alliance on September 26, 1850.
Development of the C&P, Stark County's first railroad, proceeded in fits and starts. Chartered in 1836 as the Cleveland, Warren and Pittsburgh Railroad, the franchise lapsed due to inactivity. Revived in 1845 as the C&P, lack of financing delayed construction until 1848. The line opened between Cleveland and Freedom (now part of Alliance) on July 4, 1851, and was completed in 1852 between Cleveland and Wellsville.
The following year, the State of Pennsylvania permitted the C&P to build in the Keystone State. On March 4, 1852, the C&P opened an extension to Rochester, Pennsylvania, where it connected with the Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad (O&P). The two railroads jointly operated between there and Pittsburgh. The C&P's Tuscarawas branch, built through the Sandy Creek valley, opened between Bayard and New Philadelphia via Minerva and Dover on December 4, 1854.
Under prodding from Akron interests, the Ohio legislature had amended the C&P's charter to direct the company to build between Hudson and a connection with the O&P somewhere between Massillon and Wooster. The Akron branch opened between Akron and Hudson on July 4, 1852. Construction continued southward, reaching the O&P at Orrville in 1854. The Akron branch was completed to Columbus on September 1, 1873, following a series of reorganizations and ownership and name changes.

All pictures are of the actual item.  If this is a railroad item, this material is obsolete and no longer in use by the railroad.  Please email with questions. Publishers of Train Shed Cyclopedias and Stephans Railroad Directories. Large inventory of railroad books and magazines. Thank you for buying from us.

Shipping charges
Postage rates quoted are for shipments to the US only.    Ebay Global shipping charges are shown. These items are shipped to Kentucky and then ebay ships them to you. Ebay collects the shipping and customs / import fees.   For direct postage rates to these countries, send me an email.   Shipping to Canada and other countries varies by weight.

Payment options
Payment must be received within 10 days. Paypal is accepted.

Terms and conditions
All sales are final. Returns accepted if item is not as described.  Contact us first.  No warranty is stated or implied. Please e-mail us with any questions before bidding.   

Thanks for looking at our items.